Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Mother's Gift


My oldest baby woke with excitement and declared Mother's Day was his favorite holiday because it was a day all about his Mommy! How sweet is he? Then has asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day.

 

As a Mommy of two beautiful boys this is what I wish for today and everyday my sweet sons:

 

I want you to both live long and healthy lives.  I pray everyday for a cure for food allergies, but until this day happens, I pray for more compassion from the world.  I hope that we have taught you all of the skills necessary to keep you safe.  I pray that you have mastered self-advocacy skills and non-food related traditions that you can pass on to your children.  I pray that the world continues to change and understands what is needed to include you, my two beautiful boys, and all of the children with life threatening food allergies.

 

I pray that you have a love for life and marvel in the beauty of nature all around you.  I hope that you remember that everyday is truly a beautiful gift from God.  I want you to look at every sunset, mountain, and ocean and stand in awe of its grandeur.  I also want you to look at each snowflake, sunflower, and blade of grass and be just as as captivated by its splendor.  

 

I smile now as I watch you throw rocks into the pond.  I love to sit back and watch you innocently create a ripple effect in the water.  I love to see the excitement shine in your eyes as you are playing.  I pray that you will one day understand that every action you “throw” at the world will cause a ripple effect in your life and will extend beyond and into the lives of others.  I hope you remember kindness, love, compassion, and empathy.  I pray that will always live by the little mantra you said to me just days ago, “Mommy, I can change the world.  One person at a time, one day at a time!”  Oh my sweet boys, may you always have such unguarded passion!

I love the little wild flowers that you both randomly bring me while in the middle of outside playing.  I love the sweet handwritten notes and pictures you excitedly bring me when I come home.  My heart smiles when I see a cute picture scrawled in your handwriting on the mirror in steam. I hope that when you grow up, you will always remember these moments of showing people how much you care. These actions may seem trivial my little ones, but it is all of the little things in a day add up to one big thing.  I pray that you will treat others as kind as you remember to treat your mommy now. 

 

I pray that you find a love of your life that balances your personalities; like your Daddy has been the inspiration to my art and the music to my song.  I hope that you watch all of Mommy and Daddy’s hugs and holding hands- and though you groan and roll your eyes now or giggle and try to push us apart - I pray it shapes an expectation of what love in a marriage should look like.  I hope you can grow up to be the kind of man your father is-loving, kind, compassionate, empthetic, passionate, knows when to fight and when to let go, can balance a baby on one hip and fix a car with another.  I hope that you both remember how much he loves you and me, and you are able to love your spouse and children in your lives’ so fully. 

 

My little superheroes, I hope you always look towards the future and try to make the day a little better, someone else’s lives’ a little brighter, and always strive to “change the world one day at a time, one person at a time”.  May your passion for love and life always shine as bright as it does today.

 

I could not be more proud of you both.  Thank you my sweet boys for the gift of being a Mommy to you! 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment