Sunday, November 18, 2012

Celiac Disease & Still Having Fun!

Celiac is not new to our vocabulary.  Our niece was diagnosed as having celiac disease about 15 years ago.  My son was diagnosed over 2 years ago. I was diagnosed about 8 months ago. I will admit living without gluten has not been as difficult as I thought it would be.  I actually do not miss much at all. For the most part, if I want something, my darling husband has figured out how to create it. 

What I do miss? Convenience!  I miss the ease of just ordering something without asking a million questions as to whether or not I will be sick afterwards. I miss the ability to throw a yummy and cheap frozen pizza in the oven and have a simple dinner without planning.

I am amazed though at how quickly people with celiac disease have gained accommodations from many restaurants.  It is a growing need!!!  I know it will just be a matter of time and more things will be offered to multiple allergy sufferers too.  But when I think back to the few foods my niece had to order on line, I am dumbfounded at how fast the celiac community has pushed for changes.  I really cannot complain about being too deprived. (Honestly, most of my whining is about not being able to have dairy now, not gluten.)

I was most excited about Chucky Cheese when I read about it's decision to carry gluten free pizzas and cupcakes.  Seriously, how amazing is that!  Children who cannot eat wheat can still feel included!

Disney World, Sea World and Busch Gardens offer gluten free buns and snacks for their guest as well.

Celiac with other food allergies?  Orlando, Florida is the best place to travel  from my limited experience.  We love to go to Orlando as they are so wonderful and accommodating to children with multiple allergies.  Our children never leave hungry and we have never been disappointed in the theme parks.

As with anything or anywhere with celiac disease and/ or food allergies, call ahead to make sure you are completely prepared and safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment