Saturday, November 24, 2012

Nana's Banana Bread

My sweet honey's mom was an amazing cook.  She loved to show how much she cared for us by getting in the kitchen and preparing some of our favorite foods and treats.  When I met my sweetheart, I was actually living 4 hours away.  I moved in with his parents for a year prior to us getting married and moving out on our own.  Nothing, not even time, can dim the powerful memories of waking in the mornings to the smell and taste of warm banana bread.  One bite brings back powerful emotions of being loved.  One bite of "mom's" banana bread and all is right with the world for that moment.  It brings me back to such a happy and safe and uncomplicated time.

Whenever we would go on family vacations, I knew I would be able to start the day with some of her banana bread.  She always had other specialty treats too, but my favorite was her banana bread.  Mom passed away several years ago, and with that loss, we lost many of her recipes too.  Thankfully, this was one of the recipes she had written down.  It has taken some tweaking to make it safe for our boys, and if mom was here I bet it would be that much sweeter.  The following recipe is not exactly mom's recipe (mom, did not share her recipes and I still honor it!) but it is our attempt at allowing our little boys to grow up with the same memories of hot yummy banana bread that has the ability to take them to a safe and happy and uncomplicated time throughout their lives too. I hope this brings your family a lasting, loving comfort too.


"Nana's" Banana Bread
  • 2 cups Gluten Free Bisquick
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking power
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup Spectrum Shortening or Earth Balance Dairy free/Soy free butter (My husband and I both think that Spectrum Shortening is more like mom's)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp Flax + 3 Tbsp warm water
  • 2 overly ripe (or frozen) bananas
Mix the flax and warm water in a small container and mix well. Set in the refrigerator (up to an hour before making the banana bread).

Mix together Gluten Free Bisquick, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut in shortening (or butter). Add water. Add the flax and water mix. Mash the banana and fold into the batter. Bake in a floured and greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 50 minutes.

Also makes yummy muffins!
Also if you add Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips, you can add these in as well for a little something different.

With Love Always



 

No comments:

Post a Comment