Friday, November 23, 2012

Perfect Pumpkin Pie- Gluten free, Nut Free, Vegan

I miss rolling out the pastry dough and using little cookie cutter leaves to make intricate designs for my pumpkin and apple pies. I miss being able to show up at any table and know there was going to be something delicious to eat! So, this year, I decided I was not going to miss having pumpkin pie! I set out on a mission to make a gluten free, peanut and tree nut free, egg free, and dairy free pumpkin pie. But, I will be honest, I procrastinated. I decided I MUST have this special pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving at 9:00 p.m. the night before Thanksgiving.... so, it had to be ingredients we had on hand! I did not have most of what people suggested. So I combined a little bit of this and a little bit of that from each recipe. I liked what I created!  My little Steven could not get enough of it. I came back into the kitchen and found him smiling at me while lifting a spoonful from the pie plate itself. I had to laugh. If my picky eater devoured it, I bet your family will too!



For the crust:

  • a 9 inch glass pie pan
  • 1 box of crunchy Enjoy Life Sugar Cookies
  • 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar, sifted
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp melted dairy free/soy free butter (I used Earth's Balance)

I would suggest lining your glass pie pan with parchment paper as it sticks to the pan!!! (Really, go back and do this! I wish I had done so!) Put cookie in food processor and pulse until you have fine crumbs. (I used my ninja blender). Pour crumbs in your pie pan. Add sifted confectioners sugar and 1/4 soy free/dairy free butter. Mix and then push into pie pan with your fingers or if your more dainty than I, use a fork to form the crust :).

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and then cool completely before adding the pumpkin filling.



For the pie filling:
  • one 15 ounce can organic pumpkin
  • 1 cup vanilla help milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp gluten free vanilla
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice

Substitutions Needed?
No Hemp milk? I am sure almond or soy would be great!
I think that rice milk and flax milk are very watery, so I would suggest adding 2 Tbsps more tapioca starch as a thickener or the Ener-G egg replacer for 1 egg)

Throw all ingredients in together and blend well. (I used the Ninja blender again.) Pour over pie crust. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Easy as Pie!!! (Sorry, I could not help myself!)

No comments:

Post a Comment